Satellite Imagery Resources
Below is a list of sources of free satellite imagery. This is by no means an exhaustive list; simply the sources we regularly use.
- EODIS EarthdataPre-prepared image blocks if you know the exact dates and locations. Can download as GeoTIFF and KML.
- NASA WorldviewEasy to search, pan, and toggle between dates on a global interactive map.
Satellites/Sensors: MODIS, VIIRS
- ESA SciHubAdvanced Synthetic Aperture Radar and multispectral imagery. Requires login.
Satellites/Sensors: Sentinel 1, 2, 3
- USGS EarthExplorerExtensive interface for looking up and downloading global data. Login required.
Satellites/Sensors: Landsat, EO-1, Aster, declassified Corona imagery, and other historic imagery/data
- USGS Global Visualization ViewerSatellites/Sensors: Thermal Infrared (TIR) and Visible and Near Infrared (VNIR) data from the LP DAAC’s ASTER L1T; you can search for data from the Sentinel-2, Landsat, IRS, EO-1 and Orbview-3 systems.
- LibraMinimalist interface for locating and downloading Landsat 8 imagery.
Satellite/Sensor: Landsat 8
- Ocean Color BrowseDated interface, but contains extensive data from 1978 to Present. Processed for chlorophyll content (i.e., ocean color).
Satellites/Sensors: MODIS, MERIS, SeaWiFS, VIIRS, others
- Landsat Look ViewerSomewhat dated interface, but contains imagery from Landsat 1 to Landsat 8.
Satellites/Sensors: Landsat 1-8
- NOAA Emergency Response ImageryAir photos collected after severe storm and flooding events.
Satellites/Sensors: Aerial survey photography
- NOAA Geostationary Satellite Image ArchivesWebsite to get GOES low-res, full-disk weather satellite images. Useful for checking cloud cover conditions for comparison with radar imagery over the ocean.