SkyTruth’s Annual Flaring Volume Estimates map provides estimates of how much natural gas was flared from drilling activities in virtually any geographic area. It allows users to easily compare and download flare volume totals from 2012 through 2018 to observe trends. Residents, researchers, journalists, and others concerned about gas emissions in their city or study area can easily determine the sources of the problem using the latest data available, and how much gas has been flared.
SkyTruth’s Global Flaring Map shows a heatmap of nightly, infrared satellite detections of natural gas flaring across the entire planet, as seen by the VIIRS instrument. SkyTruth’s Global Flaring Map can help you:
- Demonstrate the tremendous amount of natural gas flaring around the world.
- Learn if flaring is a chronic problem in your community or places you care about.
- Track active drilling in gas-producing regions where flaring occurs only during the drilling and completion of wells.
- Verify when petrochemical facilities were flaring in order to aid in identifying the source of noxious air emissions polluting nearby communities.
- Hold companies accountable for wasting public and private resources through routine flaring.
- Inform public health research on the impacts of flaring on respiratory or other health issues.