Information about Alerts Sources

  • National Response Center (NRC) Reports (U.S.)
    Frequency: Weekly, every Tuesday

    The National Response Center (NRC) serves as an emergency call center that fields initial reports for pollution and railroad incidents, and forwards that information to appropriate federal/state agencies for response.

    Note: Reports that do not include a specific address or latitude/longitude cannot be shown on the map. Some report locations are given to the call center in terms of a zip code or “near” something, and these locations are not specific enough to be mapped.

  • Permits
    Frequency: Daily

    States: Colorado, Pennsylvania and West Virginia

    Currently Oil and Gas drilling permits as reported by state Departments of Environmental Protection agencies (DEPs).

  • Permit Violations
    Frequency: when issued by the state DEP agency.

    Oil & gas permit violations are currently available from the Pennsylvania DEP in Alerts.

  • SPUD
    Frequency: as they happen

    States: Pennsylvania

    A SPUD Data Report is reported by the operator to the Oil & Gas inspector for the County when drilling of an Oil & Gas well commences. The operator is required to report this information 24 hours prior to the start of drilling a well. The operator is not allowed to begin drilling until the permit has been issued to the operator and a paper copy is at the well site.

  • Florida DEP Notices of Pollution
    Frequency: Believed to be daily.

    The Florida Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) makes available any notices it receives about pollution incidents. Like NRC reports, these are initial reports, and have not been verified.

  • New Mexico Oil and Gas Spills
    Frequency: unknown

    These alerts come from the New Mexico Oil Conservation Division (OCD).

  • New York State Spills Incidents
    Frequency: unknown

    Provider: New York State Department of Environmental Conservation, via its Spills Incidents Database.
    The database contains reports of chemical and petroleum spill incidents. Under State law, petroleum and hazardous chemical spills that can impact the waters of the state must be reported by the spiller (and, in some cases, by anyone who has knowledge of the spills).