Careers at SkyTruth
At SkyTruth we believe that if you can see it, you can change it. We are searching for a few good people to join our team and help us visualize the impact of human activity on the environment through the use of satellite imagery, remote sensing and digital mapping technology.
CLOSED -- Communications Manager (Shepherdstown, WV)
At SkyTruth we believe that if you can see it, you can change it. SkyTruth is a technology-driven nonprofit with a mission to protect the environment by making more of it visible. We do this by using satellite imagery and remote sensing data to identify and monitor threats to the planet’s natural resources such as offshore drilling and oil spills, urban sprawl, fracking, mountaintop removal mining, and overfishing of the oceans.
We are driven by the belief that better transparency leads to better management and better outcomes. By sharing our findings – stunning imagery and robust science-based data – with the public for free, we move policy makers, governments and corporations towards more responsible behavior in the environment. We arm citizen activists with the tools they need to be more effective advocates. We also provide researchers and scientists with critical data that can inform groundbreaking work – and, notably, aid in the effort to begin asking a new set of questions.
We are searching for a Communications Manager to join our team and help us plan, develop and implement communication strategies to promote and support the organization’s work. This highly visible role involves crafting messages and materials to inform, educate and inspire key audiences which include the press, potential funders, partners, our board of trustees and employees.
The Communications Manager will be responsible for public relations, media relations, grant writing, strategic communications and community relations, producing content for digital and physical platforms and managing day-to-day outreach and engagement through print, digital, and social media channels. The position will be based in our headquarters in Shepherdstown, WV, and will report directly to the COO.
- Collaborate with leadership to establish and implement a comprehensive, integrated, strategic communications plan that advances SkyTruth’s brand identity, broadens the awareness and reach of its programs and priorities, and increases the visibility of its impact across key stakeholder audiences.
- Envision, manage, and oversee external communication activities that promote and enhance SkyTruth’s image and reputation, and develop and implement a broad, balanced range of public relations functions that result in placements in print, broadcast, and online media and reflect the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership.
- Act as a passionate ambassador and advocate for the organization, and engage the public and media in functions that underscore and advance the value of SkyTruth.
- On a day-to-day basis, manage SkyTruth’s digital communications platforms, including the blog and social media channels. Develop, produce, and evaluate content, identify and incorporate new elements, outlets, and opportunities; and build engagement through outreach.
- Craft messaging for key initiatives and announcements including philanthropic development and grant writing.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 3 years of progressive experience in a full-time communications staff position.
- Knowledge of and passion for nonprofit organizations and the environment.
- Strong skills in content development, writing and editing, with an ability to identify story ideas and translate complex information into versatile text or visual narrative for multiple audiences on various platforms, with moderate to minimal supervision.
- Attention to detail and meticulous proofreading skills.
- Experience managing social media awareness and outreach campaigns with measurable results.
- Experience with crafting news releases and op-eds, and with developing relationships with reporters and other members of the media.
- Experience with grant writing and drafting proposals.
- Experience developing strategic communications plans, and executing those plans to achieve goals and objectives at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Social media fluency and professionalism, capable of integrating social media initiatives with other external channels.
- Ability to collaborate and work well with others, coupled with a strong proactive instinct to address and help solve issues that arise.
- Self-starter who is able to work independently and has the ability to multitask.
- Preferred: familiarity with Slack, Skype, Google Drive, MS Office, MailChimp, WordPress and other basic communications and office software.
- Preferred: previous experience working in CRM environment.
- Preferred: excellent sense of humor.
Compensation and Benefits
The minimum salary for the Communications Manager is $50,000 with potential for a higher salary based on previous experience. We offer a generous benefits package including a medical plan, 403(b) option with organizational match, paid vacation and sick leave. For the exceptional candidate who is self-directed, we could consider an arrangement which splits time between the office and working remotely.
By Tuesday, May 9, please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Communications Manager”:
- References (at least 3)
- Cover letter
- A recent news release
- Answers to the following questions: Why do you want to work with us? What is the first thing you would change about our website? Who is your favorite environmental reporter and why?
SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer.
SkyTruth is located 70 miles north-west of Washington DC on the Potomac river in a charming little town called Shepherdstown. Home to nationally acclaimed arts and film festivals, and a small public liberal arts university, Shepherdstown is packed with creative and technical people that support 10 great places to eat in the 4-block historic downtown, 2 independent coffee shops, an independent bookstore, and a rockin’ live music and film venue in the Old Opera House (“Music and Entertainment since 1910″). Just 90 minutes from downtown DC by car or commuter train, we have all the amenities of a big city within easy reach, without actually having to live there.
SkyTruth is located in Shepherdstown because when your mission is global monitoring with satellites, you can live anywhere you like. The SkyTruth team chose Shepherdstown because that’s where they and their families wanted to live. When you come to visit, we’re certain you’ll see why.
SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer.
SkyTruth is located 70 miles north-west of Washington DC on the Potomac river in a charming little town called Shepherdstown. Home to nationally acclaimed arts and film festivals, and a small liberal arts university, this small town is packed with creative and technical people that support 15 great places to eat in the 4-block historic downtown, 3 independent coffee shops, an independent book store, and a rockin’ live music and film venue in the Old Opera House (“Music and Entertainment since 1910″). Just 90 minutes from downtown DC by car or commuter train, we have all the amenities of a big city within easy reach, without actually having to live there.
SkyTruth is located in Shepherdstown because when your mission is global monitoring with satellites, you can live anywhere you like. The SkyTruth founders chose Shepherdstown because that’s where they and their families wanted to live. When you come to visit, we’re certain you’ll see why.