Careers at SkyTruth
At SkyTruth we believe that if you can see it, you can change it. We are searching for a few good people to join our team and help us visualize the impact of human activity on the environment through the use of satellite imagery, remote sensing and digital mapping technology.
SkyTruth works to track, and raise awareness of, a wide range of environmental issues including overfishing, fracking, coal mining, and marine pollution.
Why should you work for SkyTruth? You can help protect the environment by applying science and technology to track real world issues with far reaching implications! Get professional experience working at a dynamic, internationally recognized nonprofit research organization based in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.
SkyTruth’s internship provides advanced undergraduates or graduate students exposure to a broad spectrum of geospatial tools and technologies (e.g., satellite imagery, geographic information systems), cultivates and sharpens technical and analytical capacity (e.g., scientific programming, statistical analysis, web development), and promotes project management skills by giving students ownership over the role.
- Download, analyze, and annotate satellite imagery as part of our global environmental monitoring work. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Sentinel-1 radar imagery of oil pollution from vessels and offshore oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) coastal areas, the Caspian Sea, the Strait of Malacca, and the Gulf of Guinea;
- Landsat, Sentinel-2, and Planetscope multispectral imagery related to resource extraction activities like mountaintop removal, hydraulic fracturing, commercial logging, or hardrock mining.
- Assist SkyTruth technical staff with:
- cleaning and investigating large, messy data sets of numerical and textual data;
- collecting training images for machine learning models; and
- designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to the public.
- Regularly produce posts for SkyTruth’s blog and social media accounts that (a) demonstrate the value of satellite imagery for global environmental monitoring, and (b) provide specific intervention points for the public to demand policy changes (e.g., tailings pond failures provide arguments against mining elsewhere).
We are looking for self-directed individuals, with a passion for using science to protect the environment. Interns should have demonstrated GIS experience, strong research and analytical skills, a proven ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds, a desire to learn new skills and solve complex conservation problems, and superior written and verbal communication.
Interns should be available to work a minimum of 8 hrs per week (up to 20) at SkyTruth’s office in Shepherdstown, WV. Interns can expect to earn $12 per hour.
Other desirable attributes include:
- Strong interest in Python for data management, statistical analysis, and visualization;
- Geospatial analysis including work in QGIS, ArcGIS, and/or Google Earth Engine;
- Experience with gathering and analyzing satellite imagery and other remotely-senseddata;
- Graphics production skills and video editing; and
- Superior written and verbal communication;
- A background in Environmental Science or Policy, Ecology, Earth and AtmosphericSciences, Natural Resources Management, Geography, Political Science, or a related field.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to Brendan Jarrell at email@example.com. Interested applicants should also feel free to reach out to Brendan (at firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions about SkyTruth or the expectations of the internship.
SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees.
SkyTruth is located 70 miles north-west of Washington DC on the Potomac river in a charming little town called Shepherdstown. Home to nationally acclaimed arts and film festivals, and a small liberal arts university, this small town is packed with creative and technical people that support 15 great places to eat in the 4-block historic downtown, 3 independent coffee shops, an independent book store, and a rockin’ live music and film venue in the Old Opera House (“Music and Entertainment since 1910″). Just 90 minutes from downtown DC by car or commuter train, we have all the amenities of a big city within easy reach, without actually having to live there.
SkyTruth is located in Shepherdstown because when your mission is global monitoring with satellites, you can live anywhere you like. The SkyTruth founders chose Shepherdstown because that’s where they and their families wanted to live. When you come to visit, we’re certain you’ll see why.
About the SkyTruth Team
SkyTruth is a small group of dedicated people using remote sensing to help protect the planet. We use satellite imagery to create compelling visuals that illustrate the environmental impacts of human activity, and provide these images and supporting data to researchers, environmental advocates, policy-makers, the media, and the public.