Careers at SkyTruth
At SkyTruth we believe that if you can see it, you can change it. We are searching for a few good people to join our team and help us visualize the impact of human activity on the planet through the use of satellite imagery, remote sensing and digital mapping technology. If you’d like to make a difference in the world and feel you can contribute to our cause, contact us, and tell us why SkyTruth needs your skills!
SkyTruth works to track, and raise awareness of, a wide range of environmental issues including fracking, surface mining, and marine pollution.
Why should you work for SkyTruth? You can help protect the environment by applying science and technology to track real world issues with far reaching implications! Get professional experience working at a dynamic, internationally recognized nonprofit research organization based in Shepherdstown, West Virginia.
SkyTruth’s internship provides advanced undergraduates or graduate students exposure to a broad spectrum of geospatial tools and technologies (e.g., satellite imagery, geographic information systems), cultivates and sharpens technical and analytical capacity (e.g., scientific programming, statistical analysis, web development), and promotes project management skills by giving students ownership over the role.
- Download, analyze, and annotate satellite imagery as part of our global environmental monitoring work. Examples include, but are not limited to:
- Sentinel-1 radar imagery of oil pollution from vessels and offshore oil production in the Gulf of Mexico, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) coastal areas, the Caspian Sea, the Strait of Malacca, and the Gulf of Guinea;
- Landsat, Sentinel-2, and Sentinel-3 multispectral imagery related to resource extraction activities like mountaintop removal, hydraulic fracturing, commercial logging, or hardrock mining.
- Assist SkyTruth technical staff with:
- cleaning and investigating large, messy data sets of numerical and textual data;
- collecting training data for machine learning models; and
- designing rich data visualizations to communicate complex ideas to the public.
- Regularly produce posts for SkyTruth’s blog and social media accounts that (a) demonstrate the value of satellite imagery for global environmental monitoring, and (b) provide specific intervention points for the public to demand policy changes (e.g., tailings pond failures provide arguments against mining elsewhere).
We are looking for self-directed individuals with a passion for using science to protect the environment. Interns should have demonstrated GIS experience, strong research and analytical skills, a proven ability to work with people from a variety of backgrounds, a desire to learn new skills and solve complex conservation problems, and superior written and verbal communication.
Interns should be available to work at SkyTruth’s office in Shepherdstown, WV. (Remote internships may be granted for exceptional circumstances.) Interns can expect to earn $12 per hour.
Other desirable attributes include:
- Strong interest in Python for data management, statistical analysis, and visualization;
- Geospatial analysis including work in QGIS, ArcGIS, and/or Google Earth Engine;
- Experience with gathering and analyzing satellite imagery and other remotely-sensed data;
- Graphics production skills and video editing; and
- Superior written and verbal communication;
- A background in Environmental Science or Policy, Ecology, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Natural Resources Management, Geography, Engineering, Computer Science, or a related field.
How to apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interested applicants should also feel free to reach out to Brendan (at email@example.com) with questions about SkyTruth or the expectations of the internship.
SkyTruth is an equal opportunity employer and actively works to ensure fair and equal treatment of its employees.
About the SkyTruth Team
SkyTruth is a tight group of dedicated people using remote sensing to help protect the planet. We use satellite imagery to create compelling visuals that illuminate the environmental impacts of human activity. We provide these images and supporting data for free to researchers, environmental advocates, policy-makers, the media, and the public, to hold governments and industry accountable for their actions. Our team includes professionals with expertise in computer programming, image processing, GIS, mapping, web development, geology, geography, conservation biology, environmental science, communications, and administration. You can learn more about our talented team here and our awesome board here.
About Our Home
SkyTruth’s headquarters is located 70 miles northwest of Washington DC on the Potomac River in the charming town of Shepherdstown, West Virginia. Home to nationally acclaimed arts and film festivals, and a small liberal arts university, this close-knit community is packed with creative and technical people that support great places to eat, drink, listen to live music, and shop in the four-block historic district. Just 90 minutes from downtown DC by car or commuter train, we have all the amenities of a big city within easy reach while enjoying the natural and historic beauty of a charming college town.
SkyTruth is headquartered in Shepherdstown because when your mission is monitoring the planet with satellites, you can live anywhere you like. The SkyTruth founders chose Shepherdstown because that’s where they and their families wanted to live. When you come to visit, we’re sure you’ll see why. But many of our team members work remotely, including in Santa Fe, Milwaukee, and Boston. With our high-tech focus, we successfully connect with one another virtually on a daily basis.